The United States will delay the proposed tariffs for many consumer electronics products imported from China, the Trump administration said today, giving a respite to device manufacturers hoping to wait for a trade war between the two countries.
The Office of the United States Trade Representative said in a statement that it was moving forward with plans to impose a 10 percent tariff on $ 300 billion on Chinese products. President Trump said in August that, after negotiations with China stalled, tariffs will be imposed on September 1, a schedule that the trade representative said was still in effect. The administration has already imposed a 25 percent tariff on a smaller subset of Chinese imports.
The administration said "certain products" would be removed from the new list of tariffs "based on health, safety, national security and other factors". The statement also said the administration will suspend tariffs until December 15 for certain other assets. "Products in this group include, for example, cell phones, laptops, video game consoles, certain toys, computer monitors and certain items of footwear and clothing," the statement said.
The administration published a list of products that will be affected by the changes from September 1 to December 15.
The announcement will give some relief to manufacturers such as Apple, which has said that the costs of tariffs will be transferred to consumers and has requested an exemption for Mac Pro parts. Trump has pledged to deny that request, and previously He said consumers could bear a 10 percent increase in iPhone costs "very easily."