Man arrested for showing up at YouTube and threatening violence over deleted account

A man was arrested last Sunday after appearing at Google headquarters in Mountain View, California, and threatening violence for believing that YouTube had deleted his account and the only video he had posted on it, BuzzFeed News reported today.

Unfortunately for the man, Kyle Long, 33, was actually his wife who eliminated the account. Then he told him that it was likely that Google was doing it because he was afraid of how he would react. Not only that, but Long had driven from Maine, more than 3,300 miles, on his mission.

Long's video was apparently a kind of get-rich-quick guide, a video that his father, Kevin Long, characterized as "rambling" and "strange." According to the father, Long has a history of mental illness and with the police, what his father thinks of a drunk driving accident in his adolescence that took the life of a close friend. "He came up with this crazy idea of ​​making millionaires to everyone," said Kevin Long BuzzFeed . "She [his wife] told him that Google or Facebook should have removed it because you can not put stupid things there." According to his father, Long thought his video would solve the world's problems.

Dissatisfied customers who demand face-to-face meetings are common in large technology companies, which often generates robust security systems. The problem is especially bad for companies that operate large-scale platforms that are then moderated using both algorithms and a complex set of constantly changing policies, as it leads people who feel personally disadvantaged to be automated decisions that often happen. Unnoticed by employees or contractors. . However, what makes this story especially remarkable is that it is the second high-profile incident in less than a year when someone physically showed up at the company (or in this case the office of their parent company) and threatened with violence against the company.

Last April, Nasim Aghdam, a 39-year-old resident of San Diego, actually went to the company's headquarters in San Bruno, where he opened fire. Aghdam, who claimed that YouTube had unfairly demonized and censored his pro-vegan and animal rights videos, wounded three people before taking his own life.

The incident had a drastic effect on the security of the Silicon Valley companies and especially on YouTube. As a result of the shootings, YouTube increased security in its offices around the world, but the conflicting relationship between the platform and its creators, however, has intensified in the year since then. Users of YouTubers are almost constantly expressing their frustration with demonetization methods, the copyright system and other tools of algorithmic recommendation and moderation of the company that, according to some, threaten their livelihoods. Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Fortunately, Long did not bring guns with him to Google, but he did bring three baseball bats in his car, which police discovered after stopping him on campus. According to the Mountain View police, who spoke with BuzFeed Long made "general threats of violence towards unknown people if the meeting about his YouTube channel was not as he wanted it to be." The police Apparently, they were attentive to Long, after his trip across the country was reported to the police in his hometown of Waterville, Maine.

"All I wanted was to reconnect him," Kevin Long said of his son. "Something is wrong with him."

Please Note: This content is provided and hosted by a 3rd party server. Sometimes these servers may include advertisements. does not host or upload this material and is not responsible for the content.