Google Maps is ideal to help you find your way, or even to help you find your car, but the app can also help other people find .
Maps has a function that is easily overlooked to share. your whereabouts in real time with someone so they can see exactly where you are, even if you are moving, and then navigate to your location. You can use the same function to allow a trusted person to track the progress of your trip to a particular location and know exactly when you are ready to arrive.
The best part? It is incredibly simple to do. The trick is knowing where to look.
Share your location in real time
When you want someone to be able to track your location:
- Open the Maps application on your iOS or Android device
- Tap the blue dot, which represents your current location, then select "Share location" from the menu that appears. (If this is the first time you use Maps for that purpose, your phone may ask you to authorize the application to access your contacts before continuing).
- If you want to share your location for a specific period of time, select "1 hour", and then use the plus and minus blue buttons to increase or decrease the time as necessary
- If you want to share your location by time undefined, until you manually disable it, select "Until you deactivate this option" option
- In Android, select the person with whom you want to share your location from the list of suggested contacts or select an application (such as Gmail or Messages) to send a private link You can also choose to copy the link to the clipboard of your system and then paste it where you want.
- On an iPhone, tap "Select people" to choose a person from your contacts, select "Message" to send a private link to someone in your messaging application, or select "More" to send a private link through another communication service. Your phone may ask you to provide Maps with continuous access to your location before moving forward.
- If you share your location within Maps, select a contact instead of sending a link through an external application, the person with whom you are sharing your location will receive a notification on your phone. In addition, when you select "Share location" on the Maps side menu, you will see an icon at the top, both for you and for the person you are sharing with. Select the person's icon and a bar at the bottom of the screen will allow you to stop sharing, share your location again or request that the person share your location with you.
To manually stop Maps from sharing your location:
- Open the Maps application and look for the "Share your location" bar at the bottom of the screen
- Click the "x" next to the line that says how and for how long your location is shared
Share the progress of your trip
When you want someone to be able to see your estimated arrival time and location while traveling to a particular destination:
- Open the Maps application and start navigating to your destination
- Slide up on the bar at the bottom of the screen (where the remaining travel time is displayed), then select "Share trip progress" on the menu that appears
- Select the name of the person with whom you want to share your progress or select the application you want to use to share
If you want to stop sharing your progress before your trip is completed:
- Slide again up in the bar at the bottom of the screen
- Select "Stop sharing" in the menu that appears
Vox Media has affiliate associations. These do not influence the editorial content, although Vox Media can earn commissions for products purchased through affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy .