Google Maps is a great tool to help you find your way or find your car, but this app can help others find .
Maps have features that you can easily share. Real-time location information with others lets you see exactly where you are, even when you're on the move, and you can move to your location. With the same features, trusted people can see the progress of a trip to a specific place and know exactly when they arrive.
What is the best thing? It's incredibly simple. The trick is knowing where to look.
To share your real-time location
To allow someone to track your location
- Open the Maps app on your iOS or Android device
- Tap the blue dot that represents your location, then select & # 39; Share location & # 39; from the menu that appears. (If you are using Maps for the first time for that purpose, you may be prompted to authorize your app to access your contacts before continuing.)
- If you want to share your location for a certain amount of time, & # 39; 1 hour "option, then use the blue plus and minus buttons to increase or decrease the time as needed.
- To share a location indefinitely, hold down the" Until this feature is turned off "option
- From Android's recommended contacts list, choose who you want to share your location with, or select an app like Gmail or Message to send a private link, copy the link to your system clipboard, and paste it where you want it.
- iPhone Tap "Select People" to select a person from your contacts and select "Messages" to choose a person in your messaging app or choose "More" to send a private link via another communication service. You may be prompted to continue accessing the map before moving forward.
- If you share your location on Google Maps itself – instead of sending a link through an external app, you can choose a contact – when you share your location, you'll be notified on your phone. 39; Location Sharing & # 39; will show you the people you & # 39; ve shared with you at the top. If you select your icon, you can use the bar at the bottom of the screen to stop sharing, reshare your location,
To manually stop location sharing on a map
- Open the Maps app and find the "Location Sharing" bar at the bottom of the screen
- Tap the "x" in the next line How and where your location is shared
Share travel progress
Allow someone to see your location and estimated time of arrival on your way to a specific destination
- Open the Maps app and start navigating to your destination
- Swipe up the bar at the bottom of the screen to show the remaining travel time, then select & # 39; Travel Progress Share & # 39; from the menu that appears.
- Select the name of the person you want to share your progress with or select the app you want to share with.
To stop sharing your progress before your trip is complete:
- Swipe back up
- Select "Stop sharing" from the menu that appears.
Vox Media has an affiliation. Vox Media can receive commissions for products purchased through affiliate links, but it does not affect edits. For more information, please visit Google's Ethics Policy .