FCC commissioner calls for investigation into Chinese telecoms operating in US networks

On Thursday, Brendan Carr, a Republican commissioner for the Federal Communications Commission, called on US national security agencies to investigate two Chinese telecommunications providers.

Carr requested the investigation at an open FCC meeting on Thursday, before voting on a measure that would prevent a separate Chinese company, China Mobile, from operating within the United States. Carr used part of his time on the platform to attack China Unicom and China Telecom, two other Chinese telecommunications companies currently operating within US networks, claiming that security threats have changed since these companies obtained the interconnection rights almost 20 years ago. [19659003] "The evidence I have seen in this case casts doubt on existing authorizations," Carr said in a statement. "For example, today's decision cites reports that China Telecom has been hijacking US traffic and redirecting it through China."

Carr wants national security agencies to determine whether the FCC should revoke the authorizations of these Chinese companies to operate within China. the country. If revoked, this would require these companies to withdraw from the US market. He also requested that the FCC initiate a proceeding on the matter.

"It's time for the US to take additional measures," Carr said. "Security threats have evolved over many years since those companies obtained interconnection rights to the US networks. UU At the beginning of the 2000s. A lot, if not all, of the reasoning behind today's decision seems to apply with equal or greater force to those inherited authorizations. Let's make sure that our decisions of past decades do not inadvertently jeopardize American interests. "

Over the past year, regulators, federal authorities and lawmakers have become increasingly concerned about the incorporation of Chinese telecommunications equipment into US networks.

Democratic commissioner Geoffrey Starks also expressed concern about the authorizations granted to these other Chinese telecommunications companies, but did not even ask for an investigation. "Previous commissioners granted [authority] to other operators with a property structure similar to that of China Mobile," Starks said. "The executive branch highlights how the national security environment has changed since it was granted."

No commissioner other than Carr has requested a similar investigation.

The measure voted today to block China Mobile from US networks was approved in a 5-0 vote. Last month, when the measure was announced, the president of FCC, Ajit Pai, said: "It is clear that China Mobile's request to provide telecommunications services in our country poses substantial and serious risks to national security and the application of the law".

Please Note: This content is provided and hosted by a 3rd party server. Sometimes these servers may include advertisements. igetintopc.com does not host or upload this material and is not responsible for the content.