The chairman of the National Security Committee of the House of Representatives, Representative Bennie G. Thompson (D-MS), today wrote letters to technology executives from companies such as Facebook and YouTube requesting an informational meeting on March 27. with respect to his response to the life of the New Zealand Fencer Transmission and the subsequent reuploads across multiple platforms.
Thompson's letter was sent to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella. Prevent something similar from happening in the future.
The letter was sent in response to the mass shooting that left 50 people dead after a white nationalist opened fire at a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, last week. The shooter broadcast the attack live on Facebook and other users published copies of the video on social networks. On Sunday, Facebook said it had removed almost 1.5 million videos of the attack and YouTube said it had removed an "unprecedented volume" of videos.
"I was very concerned to know that one of the shooters broadcast this terrorist attack live on Facebook, and the video was later uploaded on Twitter, YouTube and other platforms," Thompson said. "This video was widely available on their platforms long after the attack, despite calls from New Zealand authorities to remove these videos."
A Facebook spokesperson confirmed that the company would inform the committee "soon", but they did not. Specify an exact date or who will provide the information. A YouTube representative only made reference to an earlier statement about the volume of uploads. Microsoft and Twitter did not respond immediately to requests for comments.
"You should do better," Thompson wrote. "According to the recent pattern of horrific mass violence and the frustrated attempts at mass violence, here and abroad, this is not just a US problem but a global one."