The mobile operator of the United Kingdom EE announced that it is "pausing" the inclusion of Huawei phones in the launch of its new 5G network. It is the latest example of carriers that are distancing themselves from the Chinese technological giant after Google withdrew Android's license from the company in response to a ban from the US government. UU
EE announced earlier this month that it would offer the Mate 20 X 5G from Huawei, one of the first smartphones with 5G capacity, in its next network. But the operator, which is owned by BT Group, one of Europe's largest telecommunications companies, said it would not launch the device until it could ensure customers' long-term ability to use the device.
"Until we get the information and trust that gives us the long-term security that our customers, when they buy those devices, will receive assistance throughout the life of the device with us … we have put those devices in pause, "said Marc Allera, CEO of the BT Group's consumer brands, at a press conference this morning.
The announcement is one of the first responses of European mobile operators to the loss of Huawei's Android license. Although Huawei has never been able to launch its devices in America, the company's phones have been well received in Europe. In the first quarter of 2019, Huawei distributed more than 59 million smartphones, of which approximately half would be sent to Europe. That means that the company represents approximately a quarter of the European market.
Without Google's full Android license, Huawei devices will lose access to the Google Play Store, key applications such as Facebook, Instagram, and Google Maps, and Google security updates. . Huawei has a temporary license to issue Android updates to existing devices until August 19, but then it is not clear what the future of the company's phones will be. It is also unclear if Huawei devices not launched will have access to updates if they start before that date.
The largest mobile operators in Europe, including Telefónica de España and Deutsche Telekom in Germany, have yet to discuss whether they will continue to sell Huawei's phones.
Earlier this week, Japanese mobile operators announced that they would delay the launch of the new Huawei phones on their networks. A spokesman for one of the operators said the company wanted customers to "feel safe using our products." If the United States shows no signs of having its ban removed from Huawei, it is likely that other operators around the world will follow suit.