The Document Scanner app allows you to scan paper items such as receipts, letters or contracts on your mobile device. This eliminates the need for bulky scanners.
There are dozens of document scanner apps available for iOS, but most of them are junk. Our top five works are based on excellent image quality, various formatting options, accurate text recognition, ease of use, and plenty of sharing options. It also provides clear privacy and security policies, editing, and commenting capabilities.
1. Notes (Integrated)
Many people prefer apps that can be used on mobile phones from scratch. One of the better features of the Apple Notes app is that you can actually use it to scan documents.
When you open a new note, click the "+" icon and then click "Scan Document". You can then use the Notes app to scan multipage documents, adjust them to be more "scanned", and add signatures to specified documents.
The downside here is that the Notes app's scan limit is 24 pages at this point, which makes it unsuitable for larger documents.
2. Scanbot Pro
Scanbot Pro offers exceptional scan quality, text recognition, elegant but simple interface, and rich sharing options.
Correct scan geometry while correcting geometric distortions and includes useful PDF markup.
Your documents are not shared on Scanbot Pro's servers, so you can keep your information safe from peeking agencies and hackers. It doesn't perform optical character recognition even in the cloud.
You can use a variety of filters to edit captured documents and use editing tools such as automatic cropping, rotation, and file naming.
- Dedicated multi-page scan mode
- Automatic capture of documents
- Reduce naming hassle for each scan with custom naming templates
- Automatic text recognition in 60 languages
- 17 cloud storage options
- Many Shares (PDF, JPEG, TXT)
- Scanbot Pro supports many iOS-specific features, such as Locking the Touch ID app, passwords, Wunderlist integration, reordering pages in multipage scanning, and folders synced with iCloud
It comes with a nice toolbar and doesn't distinguish between different document types. Once the scan is saved, the filter cannot be changed, so image editing is also disruptive.
3. Microsoft Office Lens
If you have Microsoft Office, this Microsoft Office Lens app is for you. It offers great usability features such as text recognition and competent scanning, and is rarely used, especially for free apps.
Scanbot Pro is not as clean as it is, and sharing options are limited. However, accurate global text recognition compensates for these flaws.
If you don't want to pay for the best document scanner application, Microsoft Office Lens is a good user, good OCR and simple user. Interface, image filter and dedicated scan mode for unique results.
The downside of OCR in this app is that you install Word on your iPhone or Apple device, then log in with a free Microsoft account to access, edit and save the results.
- 100% free (uncommon in iOS apps)
- Inappropriate mode for scanning whiteboards and business cards
- Can convert scans to PowerPoint slides
- Name recognition, business card Add photos and contact information to contacts in OneNote and export scans to Scanned PDF, JPEG, DOCX
The free, business-grade CamScanner app for iOS scans a wide range of documents that support cloud services. Scanned documents are converted into PDF files and automatically uploaded to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, OneDrive and Box.
Use this article to target business users to see or comment on their colleagues. As long as the scanned document has a user account. You can add watermarks and comments to your documents with advanced editing features, and passcodes for added security.
Premium Plan offers features such as 10GB storage, batch download of documents, and sending document links with a password.  Unique Features:
- Siri Shortcut Support for Opening Folders and Documents
- Smart Auto Enhancement and Crop for Clear and Clear Image Quality
- Electronic Signature for Signing and Sharing Contracts
- Additional editing or sharing of OCR tools to extract text (Premium feature)
- Various sharing options via email, social media, or document link
- Send AirPrint and fax documents to more than 30 countries
- Collaborate on group scanning
- Password protection for passwords or sensitive documents
- Optimized synchronization between devices
5. Evernote Scannable
Evernote Scannable for iOS captures documents beautifully and quickly, turning them into high-quality scans that can save and share documents.
Provide options for saving or sharing / exporting documents as PDF and JPG files with fast and instant scanning.
You can also convert business cards to contacts when you import information or from LinkedIn. You can save it to your contact list.
- Multiple-page documents can be delivered to any page you want by linking with the ScanSnap Evernote Edition scanner.
- The team controlled the ScanSnap Evernote Edition scanner from its own device and shared scan
- Intelligent file sharing
- Text parsing technology
- Connected to LinkedIn for additional context
FineScanner quickly captures books and documents, creates PDF and JPG copies, and applies online OCR for text recognition. This is helpful if you need further editing and sharing.
- Capture and scan a variety of documents with complete digital copies
- Open scans with OCR and PDF in 193 languages and 12 output formats including DOCX, TXT Shortcuts
- BookScan with Camera's Book Mode (BookScan) captures shots of opposite book pages, splits them into separate images, and corrects for distortion or lighting defects.
- Built-in file storage with search and tag functionality
- Share, Export, and AirPrint scan
There is a premium version available with all app features, but it's free to use Don't worry about advertising.
Have your favorite document scanner app on iOS devices? Let us know in the comments section.
Image Credit: Abby via Facebook
Was this article helpful?